Friends, it seems that Old Man Winter is finally quieting down and making room for the renewal that comes with Spring. With the changing of the season, I thought it might be fun to challenge myself (and you!) to spend a bit more time outside over the next few months.
Even with the sun and warmer weather pulling me outside, I find myself indoors making a myriad of excuses to stay that way even though I know that being outside is always rejuventating. It's windy, rain might be coming, the couch is comfortable... This isn't about fitness, but about getting fresh air. If you want to couple it with a fitness goal, do it! So with that in mind, let's talk challenge details!
Setting a Goal
The goal of this challenge is to build a regular habit of spending 20-30 minutes outside. My personal goal is to do this 5 times each week, but your goal could be different. At the beginning, my guess is that you'll need to be mindful about prioritizing this time for yourself but it will get easier over time.
Tracking your Progress
Track the days you're spending outside. I'm using a habit tracker to log my progress, but do what works for you. If you prefer paper tracking, add this to your bullet journal or mark the days you went outside on your calendar.
I'll be posting my progress on Instagram and Facebook, follow us to see what I'm up to and share your adventures!
Need some ideas for what to do when you're outside? Here's a list for inspiration:
- Sit. Truly, it can be as simple as that. Sit outside in your favorite spot and watch the birds and squirrels or hang out with your pets. It's okay to keep it simple.
- Relax in your hammock
- Go for a walk or a hike
- Play a game with your kiddos or family. Our youngest son's favorite right now is to play basketball.
- Go window shopping
- Have a campfire
- Stargaze. Outside time doesn't just have to be during the day!
- Skip rocks at your local lake
- Climb a tree. I mean, when was the last time you did that? :)
- Eat dinner outside
- Play fetch with your dog!
Please share your favorite outdoor activities in the comments, I'd love to know how you spend your time outside. Let's go exploring!