"There are only two ways to live your life. One as though nothing is a miracle. The other as though everything is a miracle."
Friends, there are times in our lives where we are acutely reminded how lucky we are to be on this earth and surrounded by things that give us fulfillment and joy. While these experiences are different for everyone, taking the time to appreciate them as they come and spend a few moments documenting them each day is life changing. In fact, according to Harvard University, gratitude can help you feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve your helath, deal with adversity and build strong relationships. Join me to begin anew with the effort to develop a gratitude journal and begin recording those good experiences and feelings.
To get started, you'll need a place to write down your thoughts. This can be a pen and paper (my favorite choice, ironically), or some digital format or social media presence. Anything you decide on is good, as always, experiment with what works and modify to suit your needs.
Once you choose how you'll be recording your thoughts of gratitude, you might need some ideas on what to write. Below are some prompts to get you started:
- How are you able to help others?
- What family member or friend are you grateful for?
- What pets are you grateful for?
- What do you like about your home?
- What conveniences do you appreciate?
- What talent are you grateful for posessing?
- What did you accomplish today?
- What memory are you grateful for?
- What is a simple pleasure you appreciate?
- What is your favorite way to move your body?
- What was the best part of your day?
- What are your favorite traits?
- Which of your five senses are you most grateful for?
I like to focus on one thing that I'm really grateful for each day, then talk about it a bit so I can remember WHY I listed that in my journal. Take some time to think about it and build a routine. For some people this can turn into a self care routine all on it's own - quiet time and a great beverage (check out our fruit infused water post) to ponder your day can be just what you need to feel inspired and fulfilled.